Friday, 31 October 2008

"He F***ed your grandaughter!"

In class today we talked about the 'wossgate' situation, and wether as a younger generation we found Brand & Ross offensive. All of us agreed that we did not find it offensive, however we thought on the pair had crossed the line. Gavin mentioned that this maybe because Andrew Sachs has become an iconic/beloved star especially when remembered as Manuel, if it were someone of the same status as ross & Brand (like Jimmy Carr) I think the response from the public would be completely different. I personally think it's an age thing, Andrew sacs is getting quite old, and out of respect their are certain things/the F word you shouldnt say infront of respected older people.
I heard from some of the class about this 'outrage' of a radio broadcast before I'd listened to it, and was perhaps expecting much worse, by the amount of controversy from the public. I can't say I was at all surprised by what I heard. this is EXACTLY what I have come to expect from these two men, this is simply what they do. Brand's carrer is based on pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable, anyone tunning in to his radio programme, knows exactly what to expect. the people who listen to his show are the people keeping him on the air, so they are just as much to blame. If they complained they should be asked why they listen to this annoying man's radio show in the first place!
I don't think the presenters are entirely to blame of course, the broadcasters shouldn't just let 'any old thing' be said on air, I do believe there needs to be a line. And the BBC made a big mistake here, an unfortunate one, as it could have been killed early, if the BBC had taken arly action. They must not have realised so many people would jump on the band wagon just becasue the public love a contoversial story they can get passionate about (whether they truely care or not...I'd guess most don't!)

I think situations like this one really show what direction TV/Radio is going, and it makes me feel really depressed.

(Also bizarre as this couldnt have occured at a better time coinciding perfectly with what we're talking about in class...Hmmmm...)

No comments:

Post a Comment