

Todays class was one of my favourite classes so far, we watched many film trailers. Some old ones, like Singin' in the rain, Cleopatra and the original King Kong. We watched the first Indiana Jones trailer and compared it to the new one (noticing how the old one was not selling 'Indiana Jones' the character, but the story of the lost ark. wereas the new one showed very little of the story and was emphasising 'Indiana Jones') So this was really interesting.
We looked at movie posters, I loved this, it made me realise how much I miss art and graphic design...Im going to start drwing more again.
These posters ranged from older ones like 'Gone with the Wind' to newer film posters like 'The Notebook' (which Andy called the love film for our generation...I think this is very true) We talked about how the most important character will inevitably have the space on the top left of the poster. For Pearl Harbour and titanic -which deal with the war and the sinking of an 'unsinkable' ship- the posters had a plane and the ship but also the characters in love at the top, almost half and half. this shows the public this film is not just about the ship & the war, but will also have a love story. Some might say this will also make it appeal to both men and women, getting a wider audience.
We have been talking about Edward R. Murrow, and in our screening today we watched 'Good Night & Good Luck' a film directed by George Clooney, who's father works for the news.I thought this film was very interesting to watch as we have been talking about media control and broadcasting in class. I found parts of the film hard to watch as my attention started to drift from time to time. I loved the look of the film, the black & white and the lighting. I found the compostiotion of each shot to be really effective, many close-ups and the cigarette smoke (which always reads well in black and white) adding sophistication, and a sense of the time period that is being presented.
Seen as we were looking at posters earlier that day, I looked at the advertising posters for 'Good Night & Good Luck'.
Edward r. Murrow is obviously shown as the dominatnt character on the poster, but he is not on the top left, he is on the right. however he is infront of George Clooney (who is on the left) and has the light shining brighter on his face, showing him to be the heroic figure.
Style wise this poster reminds me alot of all these Frank Miller film, like Sin City. With the striking Black & White with a careful use of red, to highlight importance. With this Good Night and Good Luck poster it is in Black & White but they have used red for the "...and Good Luck' which puts an emphasis on these words to the public.
I found a teaser poster that resembles the older posters a lot more in style, it looks very art deco. Again shows Edward R. Murrow and a cigarrete in his hand.
I find these two very contrasting posters for the same film very interesting, maybe the art deco one is to appeal to older people who remember Edward R. Murrow, and the newer one is aimed at a younger audience, or one that expects this modern style of poster in order to see a film.
No comments:
Post a Comment