Thursday, 23 October 2008

Shawshank Redemption -Frank Darabont


Screenwriter -Frank Darabont. I find it interesting that Darabont wrote the screenplay & directed because the film is very well thought out and doesnt have many flaws in its storytelling, from the script and the visuals. I think this is because he's telling the story on the page and on the screen, its very coherent.
"Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free"
Two men imprisoned for many years find redemption through acts of common decency and their friendship.
I like the idea of the prison almost being more safe for these men that the outside world (the film makes you think of it this way, as an outside world, you very rarely leave the prison in the film) Inside everyones 'innocent' or in otherwords all equals. like Red says how inside he's the guy who can get you things but outside he's nothing, just a criminal. These men are worth more inside the prison. most of them have lived in there for longer than outside, Brookes had never seen so many cars (shows how time has passed) he was going to kill his friend in order to stay inside, and eventually hangs himself as he can't live outside the prison after he had been 'institutionalised'.
I think this film is very strong emotionally, it would be hard to watch it and not feel something for these men.

No comments:

Post a Comment