Saturday, 1 November 2008

Zach Braff I love you!


I watched two films from the RSAMD library, both having recieved many award nominations.
The first was 'Spellbound' Jeffrey Blitz's documentary following eight young kids who want to win the national spelling bee! I dont think I'd ever seen a DVD box covered with so many nominations, including best documentary, which I think it fully deserved. I loved the quirky nature of this documentary, it doesnt fall into what i've now come to expect from documentaries. I found it really funny, and actually very intense, I had no idea spelling bees were taken so seriously in America. the film was split up really well, with each kids story told one after the other, was really effective for keeping your attention. Definetly one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

The other film I watched was 'Garden State' written and directed by Zac Braff. I had wanted to see this film for a very long time, I know it has become quite a cult film, so I wanted to see what I made of it.
Again, it has been nominated for many awards at many film festivals. I really enjoyed this film, it had a real eccentric quality, which I always love to see, I get so annoyed with every film being pretty much the same nowadays, that I find films like these really refreshing. The script was very different, and I'd say, very original. I enjoy films that deal with self discovery in an off-beat way, and this film had just the right amount of comedy and drama for me. I thought it was very artistic (which I find alot of 'Indie' film are) and a lot of care had been taken over the sets -like the bottom picture, with the the wallpaper, thats awesomely weird! The characters werevery exagerated but this made them appear more real? I can't quite work out why? I think you can tell that much of the script was drawn from Braff's true experiences, and because he is starring aswell, I found it to be a very truthful film. I hope he makes many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment