I would like to mention one of my favourite TV series 'The Prisoner' I think its incredibly stylish and I became very hooked on the plot when I started watching it a few years ago. I would like to mention it seen as we've been discussing broadcasting and reality TV in class. I think many of the ideas in this show are similar to Big Brother or the Truman Show, I think this show was way ahead of its time.Patrick McGoohan plays a British spy who resigned abruptly from his job, at the start we do not know why? He is then kidnapped and transported by to 'The Village', where everyone is known by a number -and names are never used. We don't know who Number 1 is, McGoohan only converses with Number Two (played by a different actor each week), who wants to discover why McGoohan (Number Six), resigned from his job as a spy (we the audience don't know this either), Number Six remained silent about his reasons, just as number 2 remains silent when asked the question "Who is Number One?"
Like Big Brother there are cameras wired all over McGoohan's house in 'the village' and also surrounding every inch of 'the village' itself making it near impossible (He is a spy) for him to escape. Even the fact that at the village you are given a number and there is no identity for the inhabitants has similarities with reality TV. This series is incredibly original and there is a tremendous attention to detail in every aspect of 'the village'.

This TV show also has one of my favourite title sequences (its quite long compared to title sequences nowdays, but its like an episode in itself shown everytime), the whole story of Number 6 being kidknapped is in the title sequence, we see him driving his incredible stylish car through the streets of London, which is really well filmed in my opinion, with great music.
I love this series and would recommend it to everyone..."be seeing you!"
A show i've always been quietly interested in viewing, though the only way to view it would be to buy the DVD.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who raves about how this is the greatest tv show ever made, sadly I tune out when he goes on his mad rants.
That town looks familiar...