Rather than bore you with what was wrong with it (if you've seen it then I'm sure you'll already know) I thought I'd share with you the one part I did quite enjoy.
I really liked the end title sequence. Danny Yount, who was a self taught designer was the creative director behind this sequence. He also made Guy Ritchie's Rock N' Rolla title sequence. Here's the finished work and a few examples of the concept art:


I thought that very much unlike the rest of the film, the titles did have certain characteristics of the classic Sherlock Holmes to me -Observational (not Ritchie's spidey-sense style!) intellectual, eccentric, old worldly, uses parchment and ink, violin, books, magnifying glass. I thought the visual style of the title sequence held on to some of these qualities that I used to always associate with Holmes. Not to mention I thought it looked stunning, shame you had to sit through the whole movie to see it.
The amazing Danny Yount is an emmy winning designer/director. He is now creative director for 'Prologue Films.' He made the title sequence for one of my favourite TV shows ever, Six feet under.
I will always remember the first time I saw this sequence, I had never seen anything like it before. it seemed so different from other shows of the time and perfectly encapsulated the tone of the series. The sequence is very clean cut and precise just like in particular David's character of the Undertaker and the job they have to do. I liked the morbid yet very clean colours used, I thought it was a perfect way of settling you into an episode.If you are interested in title sequences I would really recommend www.artofthetitle.com. It is a great resource for many well made sequences. It very often has interviews with the creators aswell...
No comments:
Post a Comment