Thursday, 7 January 2010

The end of term...

We cracked off the Christmas holiday with a festive DFTV treat, 'A Mystery Christmas Film.' We all crowded into the Fyfe with mince pies to find out our mystery film was none other than GREMLINS! I was so happy, I love this movie so much. Apparently it was Ray's choice...I was mildly impressed to say the least.
This film has an awesome theme tune that makes me go around singing it in peoples faces for days after. I love these 80's films. They have a certain retro coolness that means they completely get away with the extremely tacky and laughable stories, I guess it all comes down to the culture and change at this time. However I find it interesting that so many 80's movies have become cult classics like Gremlins, The Goonies, The Karate Kid, and E.T. to name a few. They all seem successful in the fact that they appeal to both adults and children, remain light while homing in on an important moral. They all seem perfect for merchandise too! Forbidden Planet is still crammed with merchandise for all these movies. They all carry cheesy but none the less memorable slogans. Chunk's 'Truffle Shuffle', 'There's no place like home.' When you hear these lines you know exactly what movie they come from. The merchandisers also have the advantage I feel, that these movies only get 'cooler' with time. They become more cult and more retro proving them ever popular. I had a really nice end of term. We managed to burn the cast DVD's of Little Clown and get them sent off before Christmas which was a giant weight off my mind. It was also our class Christmas meal which was going to be interesting as we didn't really have enough oven trays! Paul drove us to Asda and we got loads of Christmas food to show Petra a traditional Christmas meal. After Gremlins the guys went to see Avatar while me and Galina went back to prepare the meal -this all sounds very sexist but we did want to cook! It was also our last night with Petra, so we had all got her some really Scottish souvenirs and a card with our classic class photo inside. We'll all miss Petra a lot, she contributed a huge amount to the class and it will be strange to return without her. I have loved the experience of having someone with a different approach to the work we study come in from outside the Academy. It's so easy to get caught on a single minded track and never try new things here and I think the one thing we'll all take from Petra's visit is that when you challenge methods and structure that's when you really come up with the new and exciting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment