
Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains...
We have loved Musical Theatre screenings on a Monday night! We have to wait around until 6.30 but it's always worth it. Most of my favorite films are musicals, they are the perfect blend of film and theatre in one medium.
We watched Oklahoma! not the movie but the 1988 Royal National Theatre version that Susie Dumbreck was in. This was great because every time she appeared the Musical Theatre students would scream with excitement, it was hilarious, I imagined it would be the equivalent of us seeing Adam appear on screen singing and dancing.
I liked this version also because Hugh Jackman played Curly, and he was amazing on stage. I always enjoy him but I think he's a better actor for the stage than film, he oozes charisma and you can't take your eyes off him whenever he's on stage, he was perfect.
When he sings you feel like he means it and his performance seems effortlessly charming. He's a great singer, I didn't have any complaints about him at all.The songs in Oklahoma are wonderful, the film was actually really long but the time passed really quickly because the story didn't drag or become uninteresting and it had the enjoyable dancing and singing all the way through.
I really liked the colours and set design, it was very simple when I dissected it but it looked more 3 dimensional than it was because of the painted layers. It was good because there was a circular pivoting centre and many of the sets could double up when turned around after a scene. It was interesting to see. Also from a film making point of view it was interesting to see how they filmed a theatre performance. I really felt like it was a film as I was watching it, it felt very like your usual editing in a film. They must have used many cameras to achieve this. Susie said there were about 25 cameras and that they had to re dub all the singing.
I think Oklahoma's amazing, it makes me wish I was a cowboy living in the deep south, it's my dream...
No comments:
Post a Comment