Thursday, 29 April 2010

The grad films begin...

Well the RSAMD grad films have begun which is always an exciting time of year, more so this year than first year as we are getting bigger responsibilities as assists which is great experience for us. This means we're very busy right now in 2nd year, as we too are writing and pitching next week aswell as helping the 4th years. Especially for Gavin and Murdo who seem very tied up in producing jobs, they say they're having a ball though so it's fine!
I have been drawing illustrations for Lanni's I'm No Superman, one of the grad films. This has been very fun for me, reading the script and trying to put the writers characteristics into illustrations. I love this part of any production the most so I was glad to be given the chance to do it again.
These were the first ever drawings for the main character and his alter-ego. They were used in the pitch to give the panel an idea of the intended tone and style. I got a few notes back from the writer with changes, he wanted Uberman to have a more heroic stance and be more muscly.  
So I tried to make the character more heroic by adopting a more typical superhero pose that you would normally see in a comic book. 
I find this way of working interesting because my original drawings were what I first get from the script, which was that the character was quite geeky and thin, therefore when I read the script I assumed Uberman would share the same bodytype, perhaps looking a bit camp? Thats what I read into it but a more heroic Uberman was wanted which I didn't realise, so I tried to do that.
This was the newer drawing for David, who was took more geeky. This have changed again since, and the new director  has a completely different idea now too, so the whole process has been quite fun to see what these characters would wear for costumes.

People wanting to specialize in camera also got assigned to a film as a camera assist, I luckily got this one too which is what I wanted as I was already helping with it a little.

I will keep you posted...


No comments:

Post a Comment