Tuesday, 26 May 2009

And Finally...

Space... the Final Frontier, these are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before...

Well, well, well Im finally going to blog about Star Trek! Most excited i've been all year by the way!
I thought J.J Abrams take on Star Trek was just what it needed to be to keep the franchise alive, it really breathed new life into something that has legions of hard core fans, making it accessible to the younger audience of today. This film has been marketed extremely well, the amount of suspense and the release of little teasers (trailers, exclusive photos etc) has been going on for months and months. With the suspense building so high the actual film could so easily have been a major disappointment.I thought the casting was exceptional, Kirk played by Chris Pine (who I'd only knew because he starred in the Princess Diaries sequel-good film check it out!) was an excellent Kirk.

I always found William Shatner to be such a funny character because he obviously thought he was God's gift, and yet there was a vunrable there at the same time making his Kirk a lovable character. Chris Pine played on this very well. He resembled Shatner's Kirk, but didnt simply mimic him. It was funny to see all these characters in their younger days at the Star Fleet Academy, as young people and even just how that crazy crew came to be together.
I thought the designs inside the Star Ship Enterprise were really well done because like everything in the film, they were revamped but not entirely detached from previous Star Trek's.
Whenever we were in space there was this cool solar light spots and beams that came into frame, I thought this really let you believe they were in space, it was a nice touch. Also the lack of sound in space until you reach the earths atmosphere, then there was a sudden burst of audio, I liked these little touches.
Simon Pegg behaved well, I was proud. I was so worried that he would over do it, but he was just funny enough without being cringy. Well done Simon.
I was shocked by how sad I found the first 10mins, Again the casting was amazing. Kirks father (who I remember from the soap Home and Away!) looked very like Chris Pine, and the younger Kirk was very similar also. This precision was really worthwhile I thought, seen as the story had many jumps in time. You could instantly recongine a character with one look.
I thought the whole film looked like a very well made television pilot, something about the characters and narrative seemed very much like an excellent TV series. I think because I loved the characters so much, and their relationships between one another I was more interested in them than the plot, which often happens in TV shows.
I really, really REALLY enjoyed this film! It was in no way a piece of cinematic history, but I was really entertained (and sometimes thats all you want from a movie!) I can't wait to see some more! I love J.J. That is all.

Im sure now there will be a boost in Star Trek weddings,
check out these cool kids...


1 comment:

  1. Have you ever noticed that the Starfleet rank chosen by Star Trek cosplayers is almost invariably inversely related to their self esteem? Hence the rash of very weedy Starfleet admirals at conventions.

    ReplyDelete