Wednesday, 11 March 2009

The book I'm reading at the moment:


'Edie: An American Biography by Jean Stein'...

I have always loved biographies of people who lead extraordinary lives. I do think this book has been very interesting in terms of screenwriting class. We have spent along time discussing character and in the case of Edie Sedgwick I wouldn't be as interested if she was fictional. There are many Edie biographies, but this one is made up of the remaining members of her family and closest friends memories of Edie and the 60's at that time. Which has so far been very interesting to read. Its strange that so much could happen in on persons life, and she died at only 28!


















Edie came from an incredibly rich family, her brutal father sent her for psychiatric observance at Silver Hill when she was only 18 years old (she said he also used to abuse her as a child.) She was incredibly spoilt, well connected and extremely stylish.
I think looking at characters like Edie Sedgewick has also been interesting after looking at 'The Golden Age of Hollywood' in Andy's class. We were talking about the differences between stars, icons, and celebrities. Edie's interesting because she was famous for being herself, an 'it girl'. She wasn't the artist, Andy Warhol was but she was a massive part of his art. She heavily influenced his work, introduced him to the 'right sort of people' etc. she also starred in many of his movies. She was a massive influence to fashion in the 60's. She really developed a style that became very iconic and copied. She was definitely one of the biggest icons to date.
There's something so glamourous about someone who has enough money to do anything they want, and are not at all responsible with it! I think that would be such a fun way to live, there would never been any restrictions to what you could do. Life would be so much fun if you never had to get a job, you could just go and live in New York, you could go to party after party. 
I really enjoy films that deal with a true story and real people if they are this interesting. It makes it so much more enjoyable to watch!
Anyway I'll finish reading this book, then maybe next time I'll have a more intellectual book to talk about...then again probably not! 

'Edie Sedgwick was the spirit of the sixties' 


No comments:

Post a Comment