Adapted from the book 'The Reader' by Bernhard Schlink. Micheal Berg (David Kross) is an unhappy young boy who becomes is very ill and vomits in an alley on his way home. This is when he meets the tram conductress Hanna Shmitz (Kate Winslet) who helps him. After 3 months in bed he returns to her flat to thank her. They begin an affair that lasts all summer. Everytime he visits she asks him to read out loud to her. One day he comes over to find she has gone.
He doesn't see her again until years later, when he's studying at law school. She is on trial for war-crimes.
I thought 'The Reader' was very well directed by Stephen Daldry, the direction was very unfussy, simple and clear. Letting you connect more with the narrative. I thought the cinematography from Roger Deakins and Chris Menges was beautifully lit, there was always an mood/atmosphere being presented to you on-screen, according to time, place and character which was very effective.
I thought 'The Reader' was a very unusual story, which made it very intreging to watch, there was a lot of drama unfolding and jumps in time which held my attention. I did however feel that once Hanna Schmitz had dissapeard with Micheal seeing her again years later at the trial, the film started to become a bit vague and unconvincing. In terms of scripwriting I felt that the characters of Micheal and Hanna had been very real and convincing up untill this point, then after the story turns this corner I felt you couldn't relate to them anymore?-Maybe Micheal didn't help her because he felt betrayed but I couldn't really judge because I didnt feel I knew him or Hanna as characters anymore.
I think it was very well acted, but not to an award level. I am glad I've seen it and thought it was a very unusual and thought provoking film.
No comments:
Post a Comment